Mattress – Finally, and thanks to our mattress tests, you have chosen the mattress that seems to be perfect for you. However, you will only know if it is genuinely the right one after trying it.
For this reason, we have created this guide that will help you test your new bed. With it, you will check if your choice was the correct one and if your new product is really what you expected.
If your buying does not meet your needs, most of the time, you will have the possibility to re-grease it free of charge, so there is nothing to worry about. This guide will help you to identify if something is wrong with your new purchase accurately and to choose a better bed option should you need it.
With so many options and types of mattresses and beds on the market, if you still don’t know which one is right for us, we invite you to read our article, how to choose a beds?.
Why try a bed?
Did you know that you have to change your mattress at least every ten years? Buying a new mattress every so often is essential. With the correct bed, you will avoid physical and even mental problems. Your bed should always be comfortable and adapt to your needs. Over time, like all products, bed wear out and begin to lose properties.
When you buy a new bed, your body needs a period to adjust to sleeping on it. It may not convince you at. First, this usually happens when your new mattress is madeing of different materials than your old bed. However, it is estimat that your body will take between 2 and 3 weeks to get used to it.
After this time, you can enjoy your new mattress and know if it fulfills its functions. It is essential always to use the trial period that mattress brands give, as it is the only way to see a product is right for you.
Some things you should know before trying a mattress
It is essential to understand that each person reacts differently to the degree of firmness of a bed. You may feel a bed too soft while your partner feels firm, so it is essential to test a mattress correctly.
Also, a new mattress may feel firmer than it is. In our opinion, a mattress achieves optimal comfort after two weeks of use.
It is also essential to consider the apartment temperature where the new mattress will be locet. Depending on the materials that make it up, a mattress will act differently depending on the environment. For example, memory foam mattresses respond to temperature.
That is, they automatically regulate their temperature. If it is too cold, the mattress may appear firmer; on the contrary, in summer, if the temperature of the room is too high, the memory foam of the bed will appear more flexible.
We recommend testing your new beds at a room temperature of between 20 and 22 degrees.
Our selection of the best mattresses
We current you our list of the best beds. This ranking is base on the tests carried out by our independent evaluators. Each of the following mattresses is of high quality, featuring the latest innovations, and manufactured by reputable companies.
Table of Contents
1. Lie on your back and feel if your muscles relax:
With this, you can check the overall quality of the mattress.
2. Check that the mattress is not too soft:
Some beds are too soft where you can sink even to touch the base of your bed or box spring. Slipping too much while you sleep can lead to back pain later in life.
- If the bed is too soft, choose a firmer mattress.
You should also check that the bed is not too firm: do you easily slide your hand into the gap created between your lumbar region and the bed?
- Yes (the hand slides easily into the lumbar cavity): this means that the bed is too hard, choose a slightly softer mattress.
- No (the hand does not slide easily into the lumbar cavity): you have the right mattress or at least one close to what you need.
3. Do you share a bed with someone ?:
Check the comfort of the mattress when you sleep as a couple. The most important points to check are:
- The mattress support: more pressure will be exerted on the bed, so you should buy a mattress that offers good support.
- The size of the mattress: the size of a bed depends typically on the box spring or the base of the bed. However, for optimal comfort, we recommend purchasing at least one queen size bed.
- Temperature regulation: when you sleep as a couple, more heat is generate, so you need a mattress that quickly regulates the temperature.
- The Motion Transfer: If you can feel all of your partner’s movements at night, you’d better switch mattresses and get one with less motion transfer.
4. Roll to the side and press your elbow against the mattress:
does it sink like butter, or do you feel a little resistance?
- Yes (the elbow sags easily): the bed is too soft for you
- No (the elbow does not sink easily): this could be the right bed
5. Lie on your cross and close your eyes :
do your muscles relax? Are the support points in the pelvis and shoulders comfortable?
- If you don’t feel your muscles relax, the bed is too complex and doesn’t have cozy enough padding. Find a slightly softer bed.